Sunday, April 6, 2008

Blew Up in Race #5

My first DNF today! The race today was approx. 5 mile laps, 4 for sport...The first half was all up hill heading out then down hill the back half coming back. I got up the road then really started feeling it in the chest...by the time I got almost to the very top I felt like sh**...heart felt like it was beating way to fast for what I was doing...knowing the rest of the lap was downhill I figured I'd see how I felt by the bottom since it wasn't tough going down...well got to the bottom and just didn't want to take any chances...told the guys at the start finish I'm going to have to DNF...my first ever...but you know I want to be able to ride another day...I don't make a living at this so I can come back again...I pulled over to the medics and asked them to check my BP...it was 170 over 168 not good at all...beats were at 120, not bad there....so I did the right thing, who knows they could have been doing CPR on the next lap...I took it easy and watched the rest of the race...then went and got another reading it was now pretty normal 120/70...strangly I got a text message from a buddy who was in the ER for the exact same thing and he was racing too..."kismit", "karma"...I think last weeks riding got to me...Monday and Tuesday was intervals with 90-98% cadence for at least an hour...then Wednesday easy 25 mile ride, then Thurs. & Friday tried the Kennedy Climb, and yesterday went to Laguna Seca for a pre-ride...guess I really over did it for this Old Guy...well I'll be taking it easy this week with only an easy spin Wednesday, & probablly try and slip out to go to try out Demo Thursday then its down to San Diego for the weekend...next week will then be some easy riding...from here on out it will now be on my geared bike...getting ready for Sea Otter than Sonoma, Lemurian, and then a 8 hour race out past Folsom in May too...then a BIG maybe whether I'll still be here for the next CCCX race on the 24th of May...
I guess I've just been working so hard to try and catch up to the condition of all the riders out here that get to ride so much...I'll be checking in with a Doc this week to make sure everything is okay too...heard about the first race back home, looking forward to seeing the pictures and results, congrats to all, and my best goes out to my fellow "Old Guy" hoping he really doesn't join our "heart" club, just take care of yourself and I'll do the same...check out my "Flickr" link for pictures from today...since I sat out my race there are some sport class pictures too...miss ya all.

1 comment:

Ted Cam Jr said...

I hope that I won't become an "official member" of the old guys heart club anytime soon or better yet, ever! This past Sunday was the test. I was nervous as all heck about racing this weekend, even though I had the all clear from the cardiologist on Monday. I even rode my local loop (12 mi) and pushed it hard on my single speed and cut 4 minutes off my usual time. But I still was nervous. I all went away within the first few miles. I checked my heart rate and all appeared to be fine. I finished 9th out of 14 with a time of 1:31 for the 15 miles. I actually think it was 14.4 miles according to my cyclometer. Anyway, I felt good up until the end, when my legs cramped. It definetly feels like I haven't ridden in a few months. I can't wait to drop to my race weight of 215 and get my race legs under me. Then I'll begin my climb up the Sports Clydesdale Division!!

I hope your doctor visit went well! Maybe you were just overtraining a bit. Who knows, but I pray that all is well with your ticker!

Keep us posted Ed.

Old Guys Rule!!

Go Bike Line!!