Thursday, March 27, 2008

My First Race In California

My first race was in Ft. Ord which is by Monterey south of San Fransico along the Pacific coast. Ironically I lived there in 1964, my Dad was stationed in the Army there...I can remember my mom helped me count by counting the head lights of the cars in the fog along the coast. Anyways, I went down on Saturday to pre-ride the course and was shocked that it was such smooth dirt trails, double track, fire roads, and single track...but all so smooth and rolling and fast...very different from the east coast roots, rocks, tree climbs and just your basic narley technical. I rode my geared bike for a loop then went back to the van and got my SS and did a lap...which really got me fighting inside as to which bike to ride during the race...one main goal I had coming out here to California was to get in great shape by being able to ride so much due to the perfect weather...and that also meant to ride my SS much more...well this is a perfect course for that..that night I stayed at the KOA in Moss Landing about 10-15 minutes away right along the coast...fabulous place to stay...a couple great resturants and the beach to walk on and watch the sunsets...the next day of the race and I decided when I registered to ride my Cannondale geared Rush...got blown away during the race...did 4 laps..whew 20 + miles...apporx. 550 feet elevation accent per lap...but WOW are they soooo fast here...it was a big eye opener as to conditioning...I was last place, 22 racers, one DNF so there was 21 and that was my position...just have to start riding alot more...which I have been doing since...was very surprised at a few differences here though...one...very, very few people call out as they are approaching you which side they are going to overtake you on...it can be a little nerve raking...it is a habit I am used to doing and hereing back home..."on your left" or " on your right" "lead rider"...when I hear someone raging I ask them to simply call out which side and I'd be glad to give it to them...but if they dont say then they have to wait till the trail widens and they can go for it...another oddity is that when the race is over..it is OVER...they get their medals off the table and thanks, see ya all next time, and their gone..a few socialize but I see more leaving than not..the poor pros and experts have very little cheering sections...my goodness it's awesome to watch them race and see the power, strength and endurance those riders have...besides a little support and cheering helps everyone...back home it's great to have almost everyone hanging out after the races, and have a celebration of presenting the awards..and all the "family/friends" atmosphere is great...it will get better!!!

No comments: